When life hands you close-to-black bananas (or when you clearly haven’t been eating your fruit), make banana bread.
3 overripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla essence
75 ml flavourless oil (I use rice bran oil)
60 g almond butter
60 g coconut sugar
3 tbsp plant milk
110 g plain flour
90 g wholemeal flour
25 g unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
generous pinch of salt
70 g walnuts, roughly chopped
100 g dark chocolate (check if vegan), chopped
– Preheat oven to 180 C.
– Cover a regular-sized loaf cake tin with baking parchment (if you’re lazy like me, just ball up the parchment and unscrunch it, then use it to cover the tin).
– Put peeled bananas in a wide bowl and mash them up.
– Add all ingredients under ‘wet ingredients’ and mix well.
– Put everything listed under ‘dry ingredients’ in another mixing bowl. Mix very well.
– Add wet to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
– Put the batter in the prepared baking tin, smoothing the top.
– Bake for 40/45 minutes until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
– Let cool in the tin for 10 minutes, before turning out on a cooling rack.